Categories 1 Taxa
Pollution sensitive organisms found in good quality water
- 1/2" to 1 1/2" inches, 6 legs with hooded tips, 2 hair-like tails Smooth (no gills) on lower half of body.
- Up to 1", 6 hooked legs on upper third of body, 2 hooks at back end. May be in a stick, rock of leaf case with its head sticking out. May have fluffy gill tufts on lower half.
3) Water Penny
- 1/4", flat saucer-shaped body with a raised bump on one side and 6 tiny legs on the other side. Immature beetle.
4) Riffle beetle
- 1/4", oval body covered with tiny hairs, 6 legs, antennae. Walks slowly underwater. Does not swim to surface.
- 1/4 - 1", brown, moving, plate-like or feathery gills on sides of lower body. 6 large hooked legs, antennae, 2 or 3 long, hair-like tails. Tails may be webbed together.
6) Gilled Snail
- Shell opening covered by thin plate called operculum Shell usually opens on right.
7) Dobsonfly (Helgrammite)
- 3/4 - 4",dark coloured, 6 legs, large pinching jaws, 8 pairs feelers on lower half of body with paired cotton-like gill tufts along underside, short antennae, 2 tails and 2 pairs of hooks at back.